I'm not immediately convinced he should resign as an MP, or even as a Minister, after what seems like sexually motivated smear, but quite clearly he should resign as the Chief Secretary, as that is a position that requires the upmost trust in someone's handling of government finances, and one cannot now have that in David Laws. Can you imagine what would happen to a non-government minister if they bent the rules in this way (such as for housing benefit?). It's not, after all, a small amount of money.
ps RT @TiggerTherese: Have yet to hear a single voice on BBC breakfast on David Law's side. ALL against. So much for BBC balance, as usual
Is it generally considered the BBC suffers a lack of balance against the Liberal Democrats? Or do they mean the Government in general? I guess the former is possible given the preponderance of coverage of the two (perhaps hitherto) main parties.
pps After reading about fifty arguments for and against I now feel quite sorry for him, clearly this must have been a terrible day. I've still not seen a good argument why he didn't stop the claims once the rules changed, I think the idea that this would have 'outed' him is extremely weak. But I think within the context of the expenses 'scandal' that was happening at Westminister this wouldn't have been seen as that big a deal compared with some of the others if it had been revealed when that was at its height. On balance though I still think it would be best if he stepped down from this position while the investigation happens.
ppps Oooh Rod Liddle, he's so controversial.
No comments:
Post a Comment